In particular, the Communication sets out five areas for concrete action to help states adapt to demographic change in their own national context:
- Helping people to balance work, family and private life so that potential parents can have the number of children they desire;
- Improving work opportunities for older people;
- Increasing potentially productivity and competitiveness by valuing the contributions of both older and younger employees;
- Harnessing the positive impact of migration for the job market
- Ensuring sustainable public finances to help guarantee social protection in the long-term.
Source: Commission of the European Communities News Release (October 12, 2006)