Miner said that businesses can help mitigate their losses by improving policies and workplace design to allow employees to continue to work in a safe and healthy environment. Among other things, she provided examples of what businesses can do to address each of these risk factors, including:
- allow for flexible work hours so that those with poor night vision can adjust their start and finish time to coincide with daylight hours;
- encourage employees to use the health care system for preventative well visits;
- eliminate heavy lifts, elevated work from ladders and long reaches;
- encourage employees working at a computer to take small breaks every 30 minutes;
- don't rely on sound as the sole means of emergency communications, as employees with hearing loss may not hear announcements.