Among other things, the regulations will:
- ban age discrimination in terms of recruitment, promotion and training;
- ban unjustified retirement ages of below 65; and
- remove the current age limit for unfair dismissal and redundancy rights.
- provide a right for employees to request working beyond retirement age and a duty on employers to consider that request;
- require employers to give at least six months notice to employees about their intended retirement date.
Source: News Release Department of Trade and Industry (March 9, 2006)